1. Your work in 3 words:
Electrotexture Jangular Sleaze
2. Name 3 artists on your mind right now.
3. Where are some of your favorite places to go to get inspired in the city?
I like to go to Times Square, I call it my “thinking place”. I enjoy observing what the edge of modernity looks like.
4. Who or what keeps you going?
The concept of limitlessness
5. How did the wider conceptual theme showcased in Total Parallaxxx evolve?
I’m interested in exploring how we perceive reality within the context of new technology. I wanted to emphasize the different aspects and angles of how we see ourselves reflected inside of media’s mirror.
6. When people look at your work 50 years on from now what do you think they’ll say?
I’m sure it’ll be viewed as a very infantile view of what will (in 50 years from now) be considered extremely obsolete technology, but hopefully will encapsulate a time when all of this was extremely new, and will touch upon the existential phenomena of change that is occurring within this burgeoning era of singularity, climate crisis & and American instability.
7. What’s the first piece of art that moved you?
I saw Van Gogh’s retrospective when I was 8 years old at LACMA & it had a profound impact on me. Seeing a master’s body of work & what a lifetime of artistic output looks like had a lasting impact on me.
8. Tell us something we don’t know.
I went by Kristine for 7 years of my life. It’s my middle name and was what I went by between the ages of 11-18 (aka the Bush Era) after an embarrassing childhood spent trying to teach other kids how to pronounce Sig-Nee. In retrospect Kristine is so much lamer… I ended up going back to Signe when I moved to New York for college.
9. What’s the weirdest thing you’ve bought on the internet?
I don’t do much online shopping, oddly, but probably these mini-baby monitor surveillance cameras used in Total Parallaxxx’s window display. One of them came wrapped in a diaper which is extremely not chill & the seller will be receiving a scathing eBay review from me.
10. What was the last gallery show you saw?
I just saw the Post-Analog Painting 2 show at The Hole, which I enjoyed. I like seeing how painters are using a classic medium to reflect a transgressive era.
11. Who is under-rated?
Missy Elliott; David Lachapelle
12. What is under-rated?
Humility. Also, Pineapple Upside-Down cake. You don’t see that cake enough out there.
13. What shocks you?
14. Favorite artist of all time?
15. I want to buy you a drink, what do you want?
Tequila Pineapple with lime
16. Who do you want to collaborate with?
17. 3 dream dinner party guests?
18. What’s next in the art world?
19. What’s the one piece of advice you never took?
“Don’t put American Reflexxx on YouTube”
20. What’s up next for you after this show?
Doing visuals for Discwoman’s Movement party in Detroit in May, a solo show at Annka Kultys Gallery in London in June, then going to Paris for a week to write my manifesto/5 year plan.